Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 whole FGF chicken or bones from 2 previously cooked chickens
- 2-4 FGF chicken feet (optional, makes your broth more gelatinous)
- 4 qts water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2-4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-4 FGF astragalus sticks (optional, helps build your immune system)
- 1 bunch of parsley optional
- Place chicken or chicken pieces in a large stainless steel pot (or crockpot on low for 12-24 hours) with water, vinegar and all vegetables except parsley. Bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12 to 24 hours. The longer you cook the stock, the richer, more flavorful, and healthier it will be. About 10 minutes before finishing the stock, add parsley. This will impart additional mineral ions to the broth.
- Remove whole chickens or pieces with a slotted spoon. If you are using a whole chicken, let cool and remove chicken meat from the carcass. Reserve for other uses, such as chicken salads, enchiladas, sandwiches or curries. (The skin and smaller bones, which will be very soft if you cooked for 24 hours, may be given to your dog or cat.) Strain the stock into a large bowl. This can now be made into soups or just used as a nutrient dense broth for sipping. We often add a little miso just before serving. We use bone broth instead of water when cooking rice or quiona for the added nutritional benefits and rich taste.
TIP: Our favorite way to freeze our bone broth is with Souper Cubes! Available online or at the Market on the Farm. Medicinal Additions to Bone Broth for when you are showing signs of sickness: You can add chopped burdock root (fresh or dried), chopped dandelion roots (fresh or dried), dried astragalus root, miso, Shiitake mushrooms or Reishi mushrooms to your soup for added medicinal immune support. All of these items or just one of each can be added to your soup pot while you are cooking down the bones. For more information on the benefits of Bone Broth check out our Blog post “Nourishing Bone Broth“ Note:Pasture Raised Chicken, burdock root, dandelion root, astragalus root, and South River Misos are all available at the Forrest Green Farm Store.