- 9 lbs (about 27 medium sized apples) apples, peeled, cored, & sliced Jonathan, McIntosh, Fuji, Golden Delicious, or Staymen
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Combine apples & water in a heavy pan or roaster oven. Bring to a boil stirring often. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30-60 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- Add sugar and cinnamon and bring to a boil again, stirring frequently until everything is well blended. If you want a smooth applesauce you can use a food processor or immersion blender to break up the chunks. Store in jars and refrigerate.
If you want to can your applesause for long term storage
- Fill prepared, hot jars with hot applesauce leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Gently run a non-metallic spatula along the sides to release air bubbles. Wipe rims and top with hot lids and screw bands.
- Process in boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Let cool and make sure that the lids seal within 24 hours for long term storage.
Tip from Krista- I use a large plug in roaster oven for making my applesauce, set at 250-300 degrees (depends on your roaster). I can make 2 batches at a time in my large roaster. You do have to stir it frequently while cooking though.