Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 whole FGF pasture raised chicken or bones from 2 previously cooked chickens
- 2-4 FGF chicken feet optional but makes your broth more gelatinous
- 4 qts water
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 celery sticks chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-4 FGF astragalus root sticks optional, helps build your immune system
- Place all of the ingredients in your Instant Pot and lock the lid. Select the manual or soup setting and cook for 4 hours on high pressure. If you are not in a hurry do a natural release (which can take a while). If you are in a hurry, do a 10 minute natural release and then you can quick release the pressure. Strain out the solids and store the broth in refrigerator or freezer. If you used a whole chicken, the meat stays moist when using an Instant Pot and can be used for tacos, chicken salad etc.
- We often add a little miso to the broth just before serving. We use bone broth instead of water when cooking rice or quiona for the added nutritional benefits and rich taste.
TIP: Our favorite way to freeze our bone broth is with Souper Cubes! Available online or at the Market on the Farm. Medicinal Additions to Bone Broth for when you are showing signs of sickness: You can add chopped burdock root (fresh or dried), chopped dandelion roots (fresh or dried), dried astragalus root, miso, Shiitake mushrooms or Reishi mushrooms to your soup for added medicinal immune support. All of these items or just one of each can be added to your soup pot while you are cooking down the bones. For more information on the benefits of Bone Broth check out our Blog post “Nourishing Bone Broth“ Note:Pasture Raised Chicken, burdock root, dandelion root, astragalus root, and South River Misos are all available at the Forrest Green Farm Store.