Crockpot Apple Butter
- 5½ lbs apples peeled, cored, and finely chopped Jonathan, McIntosh, Fuji, Golden Delicious, or Staymen
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- Place apples in a crockpot or roaster (200-250 degrees). In a medium bowl mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Pour mixture over the apples and mix.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 8-9 hours, stirring occasionally until the mixture is thickened and brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low for 1 more hour. Stir with a whisk to get lumps out.
- Spoon mixture into sterile jars. Refrigerate or freeze.
If you want to can your apple butter for long term storage
- Fill prepared, hot jars with hot apple butter leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Gently run a non-metallic spatula along the sides to release air bubbles. Wipe rims and top with hot lids and screw bands.
- Process in boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Let cool and make sure that the lids seal within 24 hours for long term storage.
Ways to use your Apple Butter- 🍎 Spread it on toast or butter crackers 🍏 Dollop on waffles, french toast or pancakes 🍎 Use as an ice cream topping 🍏 In dessert recipes 🍎 As a yogurt topping